The School started on 3rd July 1967 with 30 students and this year 2014 has a population of 3,307 undergraduate and postgraduate students taught in Chiromo and Kenyatta National Hospital campuses. The School has 14 departments and thematic units with a vibrant faculty of 239 members of Academic Staff specialized in various fields. Besides training, research and health policy formulation, it offers specialized service to patients in Kenyatta National Teaching and Referral Hospital – a 1800 bed level 6 Hospital, the largest in the regions.
- Growth of Dental, Pharmacy from inception as departments at the Faculty of Medicine in 1974 to fully fledged Schools with diverse Undergraduate and Post-graduate Academic Programs in 1995.
- Growth of department of Nursing sciences from inception as a department of Advanced Nursing in 1968 to fully fledged School with diverse Academic programs in 2006.
- Development of long-term vibrant research collaborations and linkages; Universities of Mannitoba Canada; Washington (USA), Maryland (USA), Ghent (Belgium); Oxford (UK) among others.
- Initiation of KAVI;Currently hosting 1 of 3 HIV vaccine research laboratories in Africa & are the first site for phase 1 and 2 vaccine trials in Africa.
- Elevation of department of community health to fully fledged school of public health in September 2010
- Establishment of University of Nairobi Institute of Tropical and Infectious Diseases (UNITID), with an ultra-modern level III laboratory in 2003,the 3rd of its kind in Africa currently undertaking research and training geared towards management and control of infectious diseases, as well as emerging and reemerging pathogens especially the viral haemorrhagic fevers.
The school of Medicine is the largest in the College of Health Sciences and one of the largest in The University of Nairobi.We provide a wide range of courses from certificate to post doctorate hosted in 14 departments. These we shall continue to provide with improving efficiency. As seek to improve and re-invent ourselves in the school we will be introducing a number of new products. These include state of the art conferences suitable for all health care providers and students. In response to the rapidly changing dynamics of medical practice and an ever expanding health worker population in our society, we are developing an attractive retinue of short courses to help them maintain quality practice in their fields of work. I invite you keep visiting our site and follow this development.
Dean School of Medicine
Departments in the School of Medicine
- Human Anatomy
- Medical Physiology
- Clinical Medicine & Therapeutics
- Paediatrics and Child Health
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Human Pathology
- Diagnostic Imaging & Radiation Medicine
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Medical Microbiology